somebloglogo

BIG THANKS

This Soul Pancake video got me thinking. Who would I thank if I had the chance? If I had a big microphone and could say "thank you" to someone who changed my life in a BIG way, who would I recognize?

It didn't take long to come up with an answer: my dad. 

When I was in the fourth grade, I went to stay the night at a friend's house. The next day, I was woken up, I'm sure I had breakfast or something and then I was told to go home. Kinda weird, but I lost memory of some of the details. I remember walking home from that friends house (two houses down) and seeing my grandparents' (both sets) cars in the driveway. I immediately thought something was wrong. And in my own little world, at that moment...it was. My dad was entering a rehab facility in Cushing, Oklahoma and would be gone through the holidays. That means, he'd miss Christmas with my family. He'd miss New Years. But, what he would gain in return was so worth it. 

Though I am the worst at remembering birthdays (I just sent my mom her birthday present. It was in July), anniversaries (I had to stop using ours as codes for things b/c I can't remember the date) and social security numbers, I usually find the time during the year to say "thank you." Sometimes I call him on his sobriety birthday. Sometimes I hear a story about how alcohol or drugs has ruined/impacted someone's life and I feel the need to call my dad and thank him. But it's never been in a BIG way. So now, without further ado: 

To my dad. Thank you for your sobriety. Thank you for your determination. Thank you for living your life "one day at a time." Thank you for choosing our family instead of your addiction. From that moment on, I never had to question your love for us. And now, 19 years later (!!!!)...I cannot tell you how proud I am. It hasn't been easy...and to see you go through some of the things you've gone through in the last 19 years has been hard. But I know how strong you are, and how dedicated you are to recovery and for that I am thankful. To see the way you have taken your sobriety and have helped others in the community, is so inspiring. At local AA meetings, taking people to Cushing or other treatment facilities, or sponsoring others who are just getting started with their sober lives....you've changed lives. Thank you for being such an amazing dad and role model. I'm so thankful for you. 

And now to pay it forward. If you or someone you know is struggling with their battle with drugs or alcohol, call (800)544-5101. 

0 comments: